Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Burning Branches: Forced into Forcing the Creative Spark

So I'm starting to write once a day on this blog as an exercise that is designed to make me want to continue writing; a kind of, warm-up routine of sorts. After all, my mind is typically on other things; things other than getting done what I need to get done.

Where does this feeling come from, anyway? The drudging of having to do something, AKA your job? You know there's money in it for you, yet still you would favor doing nothing at all and enjoying time at your leisure. Money is a necessity to you, but when times arise where good friends combine and the fridge holds the wine - where the sun shines and the summer is sweet, and where the concept of having no plans is the plan at hand - it can be hard to get your work done.

So why is this, would you say? Would you say this is a subconscious feeling, suggesting a suppression of freedom, of, existential freedom? The need to relax, and step out of your life and view it from afar?

I would say so.

This is not my big editoral on Why We Shouldn't Work...I am merely stating the facts here: human beings are human beings; no more, no less. Because of our intelligence, we've been keen to make up these preassumptions, accusations and assumptions about "what is, and what should never be". This is a concept, and should not be confused with how things really are.

So Jon, what are things really like?

Things are the opposite of how they should be. Gone are the days of tending our homes, on our own land, providing a service of which we choose, and doing what we damn well please.

Instead there is always an entity to go through which will decide if you're weathered and experienced enough to, on top of that, pay taxes on your land and food (of which we buy at the store) - instead we hobble through meager, fractured school systems that force most young adults to choose a major that they're naturally indecisive about persuing, creating an unambitious view that leave many with jobs they either hate, leave, or stand stuck with.

And as you grow older, you gradually accept it. You change your lifestyle, and you persue something else; something you'll presumably like.

Buy a spread with with some wood by the road,
Grass gets mowed when the grass gets mowed,
Just worry 'bout the veggies and the raw sugar cane,
And live off the Sun and Rain.

Ten to twenty-acre square, hidden by trees
No more conventional yardwork, please
I can grow some good food, and I've got proof,
PV Solar, and rainwater from my roof.

I just need to get started working, and then I'm good. It's not that I'm lazy, I just don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment