Thursday, May 13, 2010

Searching for Poetry in a World of Text Messages

We've reached an age where folks have returned to the written word for communication. Instead of simply calling up your friend like in the olden-days, you are more opt to use the text messaging on your phone. It's cheaper, faster, and any potential awkwardness in communication is seamlessly avoided. It's almost as if the phone itself will soon become obsolete.

As of 2007, over 74% of the world's cell phone owners use text messaging in conjunction with actual calls. I'm sure a quarter of this percentage belongs to those you don't even use their voice anymore.

But how tasteful is your writing?

I sure as hell have no interest in reading any text messages that don't have a punchline or a stack of wordplay that will raise my eyebrows; similar to how I do not approve of uninteresting voicemails ("Hey Jon, call me back. Thanks - Rob"). We are a poetic species, and we got to keep things interesting.

I meet folks everyday who I believe to be intellectuals; those who could probably write some profound poetry and do live a creative lifestyle. However, I'm not sure that these people believe others like them even exist. Even if upon meeting someone you feel you'd have much to talk about, it usually doesn't go very far into conversation. Conversation is not the same as it use to be.

Send me a text message like, "Did you know there are over 12 million battered women in the U.S.? And I've been eating them plain the whole time!" I will enjoy it, and I'll consider you a witty, laid-back individual who recognizes the short-comings of this technological society. Send me a text message like, "Hey man, what are you doing?", and you may receive a reply that reads something like this:

"Well, I'm reading your all-too-commonly-uninteresting text message. How about we go down to the dump and shoot some rats? I know a great brothel with a bunch of dumpsters in the back."

No comments:

Post a Comment